[PLUG] News from beta testing land

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky zznmeb at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 20:39:18 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Alan <alan at clueserver.org> wrote:
> Weird. Fedora 11 has been pretty stable for me. (And my laptop has known
> problems with recent kernels.)

There were two problems. The first one was a kernel oops, which the
system posted to the appropriate place on line for me! Bad news --
kernel oops. Good news -- it automatically told the right people about
it. :)

The second problem was a bit uglier, and I didn't take the time to
troubleshoot it. I was attempting to quad-boot my workstation
(openSUSE, Gentoo, Ubuntu and Fedora). I booted the Fedora LiveCD
first, and laid out all the partitions (four /boot, one swap, four
root, and one /home). Fedora got into the install but croaked
somewhere in the partitioning process. So I dropped plans to put
Fedora on the workstation as a quad-boot. I'm going to put it on my
ancient laptop instead.

I did have the workstation dual-booted openSUSE and Ubuntu for a
couple of hours, but I couldn't get the bootloader conflicts resolved.
So I am now back to openSUSE and will be building virtual machines for
the others instead. I can beta test everything in guests. :) I may
switch the main host to Ubuntu after it goes stable, though, since the
main thing I want to have is virtualized hosting and I think Ubuntu is
further ahead in that area than openSUSE.
--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://www.linkedin.com/in/edborasky