[PLUG] Changing Case in a List of Names

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 03:08:45 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Jason Dagit <dagitj at gmail.com> wrote:

> You can use emacs to interactively record a macro for this purpose.
> In fact, since I prefer programming by demonstration for these sorts
> of tasks I usually use emacs and teach it what to do.

I also tend to take Jason's approach unless I have more than 2 files
that need the same manipulations.

Just to add -- once you've developed a functional macro that you think
you'll need again:

M-x name-last-kbd-macro   to give it a name

(now you can run it by name too, if you want -- it's just like any
other emacs function now that it has a name! eg: M-x myMacro)

Then, if you want to save it, just pop open your .emacs and run:

M-x insert-kbd-macro

It will prompt you for the name, and then write it out at the point,
and every new emacs session will have access to that as a new
function.  (so you can do things like bind it to a keystroke, rename
it, use it in new macros, even edit it if you're incredibly brave ;)

--Rogan