[PLUG] Make some tax software...

donkyhotay donkyhotay at verizon.net
Thu Apr 16 08:09:05 UTC 2009

Except turbo tax is trying to move away from linux compatibility. There
is another thread on this list where people are complaining about the
flash requirement of turbo tax. Flash doesn't bother me so much (though
I'd prefer to be without it) but I've used turbo tax online since I
first migrated to linux about 3 years ago (and used the install version
before that). This year though I had to use the 'user agent switcher' to
spoof turbo tax into thinking I was running IE on windows in order for
it to let me in. The fact that everything worked perfectly without any
problems using firefox on ubuntu really bothers me though. I'll accept
the fact that many companies aren't interested in the linux market and
don't bother making stuff for linux, but when you have something that
*is* compatible with linux and you go out of your way to try to make it
incompatible (and fail at that even), well... it becomes time for me to
look for another tax service (online or not) which I did this year. I
would have felt a little better if I had gotten an error or something
while using turbo tax online (would have meant there was a real reason
to not use linux with their service) but I successfully used everything
up to the point where my taxes were ready to be filed and they wanted me
to pay for the service, I then decided to cancel and go elsewhere at
that point. Making a FOSS tax program wouldn't be too hard, especially
since the USA is big enough and it would benefit so many people there
are bound to be enough volunteers. The problem (as mentioned previously)
is that in addition to federal taxes you have 50 states with their own
tax laws along with the unknown number of counties/cities/whatever as
well. All of these will change from time to time and need constant
updating. While the USA as a whole is probably big enough to draw enough
volunteers to keep federal up to date anything below that will probably
not be kept current or accurate. The only way I see something like this
working is if the FOSS community built a framework program (as mentioned
in previous Emails) that connected to a government maintained publicly
available database which stores information on all taxes at all levels
of government. This way whenever taxes change due to laws being passed
the database is just updated and the program can calculate your taxes
correctly. This way the developers can focus on making certain the
program remained compatible with the database and interface issues (how
questions are asked to the user, etc.). Sadly I don't see our government
being willing to maintaining a database like this even though it would
help avoid confusion with understanding/calculating taxes even if you
didn't use our hypothetical FOSS tax program.

Russell Johnson wrote:
> On Apr 15, 2009, at 10:20 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
>
>> You're going to spend a lot more time and money on domain experts
>> than you
>> will on a programming language, particularly when you get to
>> addressing
>> all the state taxes and potentially the regional (i.e. TriMet).
>>

> For several years now, I've filed my taxes with TurboTax online. On
> Windows, Linux, and OS X. It worked a treat.
>

> Russell Johnson
> russj at dimstar.net

Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on
believing in windmills.