[PLUG] A challenge...

Ali Corbin ali.corbin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 17:43:15 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Russell Senior <seniorr at aracnet.com> wrote:
> FWIW, I used a pencil and occasionally added and subtracted and
> multiplied using my preferred calculator, GNU CLISP.  When I had
> pencilled everything in, I filled in the forms with the fillable PDF's
> provided by the various taxing agencies.

So long as we're flaunting our ludditeness,  I also use a pencil and paper.
But I do the addition and subtraction on an abacus (quicker than a calculator)
and check it in my head with the rule of nines.

Once, years ago, I tried using a web-based tax service, one in which you just
answered questions and it did all of the computations for you.  But the answer
that it came up with was obviously wrong (ie, much different from the taxes
that I'd paid the previous year).  And it wouldn't show me what it had
filled out
in the schedules so I couldn't tell where the problem was.  So I went back to
pencil and paper.

Ali