[PLUG] grub. backups and UUIDS

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Apr 16 22:03:15 UTC 2009

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 13:58:41 -0700 (PDT)
"Tim Wescott" <tim at wescottdesign.com> dijo:

> I don't know if Grub can be made to use the /dev/hdxxx notation; I
> certainly hope it still can.

Yes it can. And I hope it always will be able to. When the user gets an
Error 15 there is no other way to tell Grub where to find the root
partition, unless you memorized your UUIDs or wrote them down before
the catastrophe.

Word Wizard may also find the tune2fs command useful. For example, if
you want to find the UUID for /dev/hda2 you can do:

sudo tune2fs -l /dev/hda2

I understand that UUIDs have certain advantages over the user-friendly
notation. But I'd rather take my chances and have a menu.lst file that
I can actually read. But that's just me. [pǝˈtʰe͡ɪtoʊ], [pǝˈtʰɒtoʊ].