[PLUG] Which new distro?

Nye Walker ncwalker at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 15:49:06 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 8:39 AM, Guy Letourneau <guy1656 at opusnet.com> wrote:

> I am using Ubuntu Intrepid. I am a user and not a coder.
> I also live out in slow-speed, ex-urban Oregon.
>
> Lately this past week I have been notified of several large patches;
> 17MB, 10MB and today 4MB. I don't like stopping my other downloads every
> other day.
>
> Generally I don't like patches because they feel to me like 'the
> engineers turned in their homework late - after we had already shipped
> the product.'
>
> SO: Which distros out there, in your experience, combine:
> a) arguably modern functionality: good GUIs, drag-n-drop, plug-n-play
> USB, decent driver availability, etc, and
> b) Only need adjustments (downloads) about once every 6 - 14mo? More
> seldom is better...
>
> - G

Guy,

While your frustrations are understandable, prompt patching of problems as
they are found is a foundation of what makes linux great.  We don't have a
"patch Tuesday" (Microsoft releases patches on a schedule), linux has a
"patch as we find problems" mindset.

Securing a system and fixing bugs is a reality of using any operating
system.  Linux just has a history of doing it frequently, as opposed to on a
regular schedule or compiling a "Service Pack".

Ubuntu is still one of your best bets for modern functionality, as it has a
massive following and is relatively easy for end users to operate.

--
Nye Walker
http://www.netnye.com