[PLUG] Which new distro?

Larry W larryw at holbrookmasons.org
Fri Apr 17 19:11:55 UTC 2009

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Apr 2009, Larry W wrote:
>

>> Slackware can be set to prompt you about each and every potential package,
>> which makes installations tedious, but your system will be much cleaner.
>> Of course, you may also need to manually check for bug fixes and
>> procrastination can lead to unprotected vulnerabilities.
>>

>    Nah. Each time a patch is released an e-mail message is sent to everyone
> subscribed to the announce mail list.
>
> Rich

Thanks for the update (no pun intended).  Still this points to the
less-automatic "disadvantage" because one has to sign up to the list.
Is it pointed out to the user during installation?  I admit I haven't
used Slackware since about v8, and I don't recall being told of such a
list.  If memory serves Ubuntu Breezy (also 2005) had automatic update
notification by default.