[PLUG] Comcast?

Larry W larryw at holbrookmasons.org
Fri Apr 17 20:25:26 UTC 2009

Tim wrote:
> After 2 weeks of running my mail server on their line, they blocked
> port 25.
Their contract, even B2B, prohibits customer-end servers of any kind.  I
suppose blocking the port is akin to measures "up to termination."

For my own experience, my only dislike is the cost.  I don't measure
value in bandwidth because I rarely use what I'm given.  I get around
10mb average DL, upwards of 1mb upload, but would be just as happy with
a T1-speed DSL.  But I'm too far from a CO (and don't have a hard line
to the house anyway) to get DSL and FIOS isn't out my way just yet
(southern Cornelius).  I've never called their tech support.  But I've
emailed them and got decent responses.  Recently, though, their new mail
center removed the ability to check multiple mailboxes (you can have up
to seven per account).  Since I use that sometimes when I'm away from
home I found that to be an inconvenience.  Their solution is to use POP,
which seems like a step backwards.  But there you go.