[PLUG] Seizing networks - was Re: Comcast?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sat Apr 18 03:47:24 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 05:30:49PM -0700, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
> I concur.  How might it be accomplished?  And once it is accomplished, how
> do we stop the mile post from being moved?

As much as I dislike many of Comcast's policies, they were the
ones that built their network, decades of hard work while we were
indifferent and uninvolved in the effort.  Now that they've finished
the heavy lifting, what right do we have to take it away from them?

If you want their Portland network, you can offer them enough money
that they will gladly sell it to you.  If you want a fiber network
instead, that costs about $1000 per home initial investment, plus
ongoing operations and maintenance.  Start writing checks.  Don't
take the money from schools and roads and community protection.

If you want the community to own the next network, "how that might
be accomplished" is by putting effort into building it, and
convincing others to do likewise.

Right now, I am putting in 80+ hours a week on the assumption that
Server Sky will be that next network, in 5 or 10 years.  I'm hoping
it will be an open network, and I'm attempting to engage the local
open source community to help.  Some are.  More will.  But whether
a large share of the community gets involved is not my decision.
As a member of the community, it is your own personal decision.

And what will that be?

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -Mahatma Gandhi

Keith