[PLUG] Seizing networks - was Re: Comcast?

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sat Apr 18 10:16:38 UTC 2009

>>>>> "Keith" == Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> writes:

Russell> ...  I happen to think that the public (the users of the
Russell> network) needs to seize control of the last mile
Russell> infrastructure (either by purchase or by building its own).
Russell> The current ownership/regulation model is broken.

Denis> I concur.  How might it be accomplished?  And once it is
Denis> accomplished, how do we stop the mile post from being moved?

Keith> As much as I dislike many of Comcast's policies, they were the
Keith> ones that built their network, decades of hard work while we
Keith> were indifferent and uninvolved in the effort.  Now that
Keith> they've finished the heavy lifting, what right do we have to
Keith> take it away from them?

What part of "either by purchase or by building its own" don't you
understand?  ;-)

Keith> If you want their Portland network, you can offer them enough
Keith> money that they will gladly sell it to you.  If you want a
Keith> fiber network instead, that costs about $1000 per home initial
Keith> investment, plus ongoing operations and maintenance.  Start
Keith> writing checks.  Don't take the money from schools and roads
Keith> and community protection.

I think if you read the whole thread you would recognize that you are
suggesting what I have already suggested.  Thanks for your
endorsement.  There is plenty of money currently going to the
incumbents to easily fund the construction, imho.

Keith> If you want the community to own the next network, "how that
Keith> might be accomplished" is by putting effort into building it,
Keith> and convincing others to do likewise.

That is exactly what I am doing.  Thanks!

For further reading, see some of Bob Frankston's somewhat similar,
somewhat different ideas:

  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/10033
  http://www.frankston.com/

At Freedom To Connect, he was talking alot about something he called
the Bit Commons.

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net