[PLUG] Network issues

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Apr 20 05:53:52 UTC 2009

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 21:05:01 -0700
Bill Barry <barryb at proaxis.com> dijo:

> > This is not the first time I have tried to figure out how to launch an
> > app from the command line. Maybe there is a command I can use to find
> > the launch term for all installed packages? Or hopefully can be used
> > with grep or something in order to get just the one I want?

> dpkg -L network-manager
> will tell you which files the package installed
> That's a capital L.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, it lists about 50 files. :(

Scanning the list I saw "/etc/init.d/NetworkManager" which looked
promising. But that got me:

jjj at Devil7:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager
[sudo] password for jjj:
Usage: /etc/init.d/NetworkManager {start|stop|restart|force-reload}

I think I need to find out what launches the GUI.

It used to be that the GUI launcher was in System > Administration >
Network. My "Network" launch item is missing. If someone who has
"Network" listed there can open the menu editor and right click on the
item, it will say what the command to launch it is.