[PLUG] Jaunty upgrade

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Apr 24 13:01:43 UTC 2009

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009, David Kaplan wrote:

> I had dist-upgrade problems with Ubuntu in the past. I only do clean
> installs these days. The new Ubuntu 9.04 has been the smoothest install
> and configuring I've had. I tried Kubuntu, and I still think KDE 4.2 needs
> work. I'll happier with Gnome and Xfce.

   I have seen the same advice for upgrading a variety of linux distributions
over many years. Each time I read this I ask why it should be necessary to
scrape off all the old paint before putting on a new coat.

   It seems to me that the distribution creators should know how to clean up
and remove conflicting packages during the upgrade process, particularly if
the default filesystem has changed. I don't mean to be critisizing or
contentious, but would like to understand why, at this stage of linux
maturity, upgrades can cause problems fixed by a clean install.