[PLUG] Jaunty upgrade

Nye Walker ncwalker at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 13:10:01 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 6:01 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>wrote:

> I don't mean to be critisizing or
> contentious, but would like to understand why, at this stage of linux
> maturity, upgrades can cause problems fixed by a clean install.

Safety.  Many linux users customize their software, tweak their configs, and
like things that way.  From what I've seen a linux "upgrade" doesn't wipe
out much, thus leaves conflicting services and configurations.

I would really like to see a test run of a base ubuntu 8.10 config (nothing
changed) moving to a 9.04 installation and see if upgrade conflicts and
issues still arise.  Has anyone tried this?

Nye

--
Nye Walker
http://www.netnye.com