[PLUG] Jaunty upgrade

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Fri Apr 24 14:03:14 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 06:01 -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> Each time I read this I ask why it should be necessary to
> scrape off all the old paint before putting on a new coat.
>
>    It seems to me that the distribution creators should know how to clean up
> and remove conflicting packages during the upgrade process, particularly if
> the default filesystem has changed. I don't mean to be critisizing or
> contentious, but would like to understand why, at this stage of linux
> maturity, upgrades can cause problems fixed by a clean install.

Unfortunately (?), I think Microsoft upgrades suffer from the same
overall problem. Fresh installs lead to fewer problems than upgrades
there too.

One thing I do to deal with the upgrade cycle is have a separate
partition for my /home directory. It at least preserves my basic
settings when I do fresh installs. Though I had a strange problem with
Evolution (lost about a month of email) when I dual-booted the 32- and
64- bit Hardy Herons on my Core 2 Duo.

It re-emphasized the importance of regular backups for me.

Thanks,
Mike