[PLUG] Jaunty upgrade

Larry W larryw at holbrookmasons.org
Fri Apr 24 14:14:56 UTC 2009

MJang wrote:

>  One thing I do to deal with the upgrade cycle is have a separate
>  partition for my /home directory.

Oh, yes.  In fact, the old-timers on this list will remember the early
days of Unix, you know, when they had manuals and one was required to
read them, that multiple filesystems was the norm.  It was probably more
because of the relative unreliability of drives at the time, one could
lose a drive and not lose the entire environment.

>  It re-emphasized the importance of regular backups for me.

It was for me a crude backup system, though I did find that some
configurations were better left off the new install so I would instead
rename my directory, install and then migrate back the irreplaceable
things like email.

Now I use backuppc to a dedicated drive and wouldn't mind losing the
home directory.  At most I would lose a day's worth of email threads.

Larry