[PLUG] CentOS and RHEL 5

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Fri Apr 24 16:53:17 UTC 2009

Daniel Herrington wrote:
> All,
>
> In the thread on CentOS someone indicated that the OS is as close to a free
> version of RHEL5 as one can get.  My question is, do you have to do anything
> special with CentOS to get software that only installs on RHEL5  to install
> on CentOS?

Not in my experience.  For example, I use electronic design tools from
Altera and Xilinx.  These tools are only officially supported under
RHEL, but they work fine under CentOS.

I sometimes describe CentOS as RHEL with the serial numbers filed off.

> We do a lot of testing on 1 RHEL4 vmware image, and I've been on the fence
> about paying $350 for an activation for RHEL5 when we don't utilize support
> for anything. I don't believe I've updated my RHEL4 image in four years.
> Would CentOS be the better way to go?

There's certainly no harm in trying.  It will only cost you your time.

--
Galen Seitz
galens at seitzassoc.com