[PLUG] CentOS and RHEL 5

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 17:42:06 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Galen Seitz <galens at seitzassoc.com> wrote:
> Daniel Herrington wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> In the thread on CentOS someone indicated that the OS is as close to a free
>> version of RHEL5 as one can get.  My question is, do you have to do anything
>> special with CentOS to get software that only installs on RHEL5  to install
>> on CentOS?
>
> Not in my experience.  For example, I use electronic design tools from
> Altera and Xilinx.  These tools are only officially supported under
> RHEL, but they work fine under CentOS.
>
> I sometimes describe CentOS as RHEL with the serial numbers filed off.
>

>> We do a lot of testing on 1 RHEL4 vmware image, and I've been on the fence
>> about paying $350 for an activation for RHEL5 when we don't utilize support
>> for anything. I don't believe I've updated my RHEL4 image in four years.
>> Would CentOS be the better way to go?
>
> There's certainly no harm in trying.  It will only cost you your time.

You can also use Oracle Unbreakable Linux which is using the same
model as CentOS but
with the expertise of Oracle doing tweaks to allow Oracle DB to run better.

It is free to download and use.  The service support (which Oracle
does) is ~$100 a year.

I have both RHEL5 and Oracle EL5 running side by side.