[PLUG] Dragging is good

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Fri Apr 24 23:54:49 UTC 2009

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 16:44:37 -0700
> From: John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>
> To: plug at lists.pdxlinux.org
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Dragging is good
>
> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 15:22:36 -0700
> John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:
>
>> Right now I am thrilled to report that Gnome-do did the job. I am
>> happily writing this in Gnome with my panel and everything apparently
>> working as before the upgrade to Jaunty.
>
> Ack! The boy spoke too soon. :(
>
> After I launched my mail client (Sylpheed) I quickly discovered that it
> popped up on top of the panel, which nothing used to be able to do.
> Worse, I can't drag it around with the mouse. And there are no little -
> and x buttons in the window.
>
> This is the window manager, right? Whatever it is, it's not working.
>
> Off to google on Gnome window manager to see if I can figure out what
> it's called.

You definitely need a window manager in order to get borders, title
bars, X buttons, panels, etc.

Does your gdm login screen give you the option of picking a window
manager?  I always suggest keeping a lightweight WM around for
emergencies.  Try fluxbox, or even xfce4.  You can use it while trying
to fix gnome.

Every X-enabled box should have twm, though it's rugged.  I don't
think it will be called twm in your gdm login screen interface.  Maybe
it will be called "default".

Carlos