[PLUG] Can't ping under Ubuntu Intrepid

Michael michael at jamhome.us
Tue Apr 28 18:06:36 UTC 2009

Tim Wescott wrote:
> Does that mean that I need to make my host machine a fixed IP (currently
> I'm getting that from the router)?  Or can I just call my router a
> "nameserver" in /etc/resolv.conf and have it work?

You can't just call your router a "nameserver" to make it so any more than you
can call me a millionaire to make me financially comforted.

You may be able to configure the router (what is it anyway?) to always assign
thatthere the same IP address.  In which case you could then add it to
/etc/hosts, as Rich demontrated, and have things work.

With the stability of home networks it is pretty, reasonably likely the IP
address for thatthere will never change anyway.  So you can determine what the
address is and add it to /etc/hosts.

If you go that route figure out where to put a reminder for yourself so that
when it breaks you know what you did and why.

--
     Michael Rasmussen
   http://www.jamhome.us/