[PLUG] Can't ping under Ubuntu Intrepid

Wayne E. Van Loon Sr. wevl at pacifier.com
Tue Apr 28 19:44:27 UTC 2009

Rich Shepard wrote:
>    For a small, home network that's not adding or changing hosts a lot static
> IP addresses work very well.

I agree. When I need to go on line with one of my machines,
# /sbin/dhcpcd will get an address from my router.

When I get done, I go back to my static IP address with
# ifconfig eth0 your_static_ip_address up
For example: ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.22 up

I can once again mount NFS volumes, ssh or telnet into another machine etc.

Depending upon your system, the second time that you /sbin/dhcpcd,
you may have to kill the previous dhcpcd with: # killall dhcpcd.

Wayne