[PLUG] Ubuntu 9.04 Software Raid Issues

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 19:32:54 UTC 2009

The "right" way to do this with Ubuntu is to use the "alternate" CD to do
the installation, that is a detail that seems to be left out of the HOWTO
above. That way RAID, LVM, and all that fun stuff is easily available and
you still end up with a desktop-style installation. You just don't get a
shiny live environment to play in. My standard practice has become to have 3
Ubuntu ISOs for different situations. the AMD64 alternate and Server discs
for doing actual installations, and the i386 "normal" disk just for a Live
environment. Also, FWIW, I've dist-upgraded several RAID based installations
with no trouble.

-QH-