[PLUG] pdxlinux.org needs a new website

DrHatch DrHatch at PatAndHatch.org
Wed Aug 5 20:23:32 UTC 2009

Regarding "so long as it does what it's meant to do" and "It works,
isn't that sufficient?":

As a newcomer to the area, who learned of your group via Google and your
web site, may I respectfully suggest that the site content (appearance
aside) probably doesn't do what you mean it to do.

Specifically, I found the following things puzzling or indicative of an
inactive group:

- on the home page
  -- Linux Advanced Topics Talk ... monthly talk ... next meeting, 19
November
  -- PLUG Clinics resume! ...  third Sunday of every month ... This
month's clinic will be 17 August [note that 8/17 is a Monday]
  -- of the top link links, just under the banner, the rightmost, "PLUG
for Education" gives a "page not found"
  -- at the very bottom: "Next PLUG Meeting: 2007-12-06"

- on page /news/
  -- The latest entry is Web page news dated 17 January 2003

- on page /meeting/
  -- General Meetings ... The next meeting will be held on 2007-12-06.
  -- Location ... The meetings are held at Portland State University at
the Smith Memorial Center, in room 294. [not where the home page says
you are meeting]

- on page /resources/nw_linux/
  -- The link to "The other Linux User's Group in Portland", pdxlug.org
is broken.

My guess is that for most of you "regular" folks, the mailing list(s)
are your source of up-to-date PLUG info and you haven't used the web
site in years. It shows.

With best regards,
Hatcher Chalkley