[PLUG] Need Disk Recovery!

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Fri Aug 7 00:34:49 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 16:10 -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Aug 2009, wes wrote:
>
> > There's also the old freezer trick, but it depends on how valuable the
> > data is. There are risks with both tricks, as they could just as easily
> > break it worse.
>
>    The question I've not seen asked her is whether data on the disk can be
> accessed despite the clicks. If so, hooking up an external disk (via USB,
> perhaps) and copying everything off the failing disk would be quicker and
> less expensive.

The question therein is whether Chaz has tried utilities such as
dd_rescue and/or dd_rhelp, which can recover data from a nearly failing
hard drive.

dd_rescue helped me recover all but I think 2 files from a failing
laptop drive about 4 years ago. Just from my faulty memory, once
started, it took about 4 hours on a 20 GB partition, but with the right
switches, it was pretty much automatic.

Thanks,
Mike