[PLUG] comcast customers beware

Tim tim-pdxlug at sentinelchicken.org
Fri Aug 7 04:56:27 UTC 2009

> if you're running linux (which the list somewhat implies :-), just run
> named on your local box.  no need to use anybody else's recursive dns
> server.

Or better yet, dnscache (a part of djbdns).  It's fast, lightweight,
and hasn't needed any security updates in a looooong time.  Note that
you might be surprised how much more responsive your web surfing might
become when you run your own caching name server.  I use dnscache
on many of my systems, including desktops that need special
split-tunnel VPN DNS configurations and roadwarrior laptops when I
don't want to rely on poorly administered hotel DNS servers.

tim