[PLUG] Bluetooth woes, brainstorm needed

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Aug 7 17:43:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 02:42:15 -0700
drew wymore <drew.wymore at gmail.com> dijo:

> Doesn't sound like a bluetooth problem at all but rather a problem with X
> and bluetooth John. Since 2 BT mice don't work but the phone does and X is
> the difference in the equation I'd check /var/log/X.log.* when you have the
> issue with the BT mice.

Ah, I think you're onto something.

I forgot to say something important about last night. I arrived very
early and was working at a table under the main stairs, with the laptop
connected to the mains. The mouse worked fine, as always.

By the time the meeting was about to start several others arrived and
we were chatting. I decided to try something that has never worked -
suspend. There have been a lot of upgrades since the last time I tried
it, which was months ago. So I unplugged the mains and closed the lid.
Everything appeared to shut down and the crescent moon light came on.
Then I walked into the meeting room and tried to get it to return. The
hard disk ran for a while and everything appeared to be working, except
I had a black screen. This is what always happens. The mouse was still
turned on and the bluetooth light flickered as I moved it.

Since I could not get anything on the screen - not even a command line
- and the keyboard was also non-functional, I held down the power
button and then rebooted. After rebooting the mouse always needs to be
wiggled back and forth a few times before it starts working. This time
it jerked a couple short times and then stopped. It hasn't worked since.

I suspect last night's issues with suspend have messed up X somehow.

I just read the X log and didn't see anything at all about a bluetooth
mouse. The only mouse reference is at the end when it detected the
Logitech USB mouse that I inserted in order to get at least something
working.

Later this afternoon I am going to try a couple things:

1) Rename xorg.conf and then reboot. After Jaunty (or was it Intrepid?)
I understand the xorg.conf file is not really used any more. Ubuntu
should generate a new one, so we'll see what happens.

2) While reading the X log I was reminded that I am using the nv
driver. I will try switching to the nVidia driver and see what happens.

I have to go out until later so I don't have time to experiment at the
moment. Meantime any other suggestions are welcome.