[PLUG] RESOLVED motherboard repairs

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Aug 14 21:22:29 UTC 2009

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 12:31:51 -0700
Erik Lane <eriklane at gmail.com> dijo:

> If you all remember, I've been fighting my laptop for the past few
> months. I finally seem to have found the culprit.
>
> After playing around swapping parts I found that if I used a different
> hard drive it worked perfect. But I also found that the hard drive
> worked perfect if it was in another laptop. Huh??? I thought.....
>
> I got out some contact cleaner and played around with the hard drive
> connections and that seemed to help some, then after messing around
> with the exact position it was mounted it now seems to be working
> wonderful again! It's possible that I will still need to look at it
> again - maybe a cracked solder joint or ???? but at the least I've
> tracked down the problem to where to look, which will be enough, I
> think.
>
> Everything seems to be in great shape, just needing the connection
> fixed. This could even be a long term thing as it is, but I'm not
> necessarily counting on that... :)

I had exactly the same problem with a Compaq R3240. Except I could
never get the connection to stay fixed permanently. I got a new disk
and it had the same problems. I shimmed the disk into its bay to make
sure the connection was tight, but to no avail. It would appear to work
OK for maybe a month or so, and then I'd get corruption. I became good
friends with fsck. Eventually I gave up and bought a new computer.