[PLUG] PLUG Digest, Vol 59, Issue 26

Dale Snell ddsnell at verizon.net
Sat Aug 15 07:31:39 UTC 2009

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 16:31:20 -0700
Jason Dagit <dagitj at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Michael Robinson
> <plug_1 at robinson-west.com>wrote:
> >
> > So I am thinking car batteries as they pack a lot of punch, are
> > available practically everywhere, and they are recoverable without
> > special equipment.  However, open lead acid batteries are not
> > appropriate for use on a desktop.  I've also heard if these
> > batteries don't vibrate that they will sulfate up much faster.
>

> I could be mistaken, but I was thinking that car batteries (slowly)
> produce toxic fumes as they work.  Something that is not a problem
> under the hood of your car, but worth considering in homes.  You
> might want to research this.
>
> Jason

Lead-acid cells produce hydrogen gas.  The problem isn't so much that
it's toxic, but that it's explosive.  If you use a lead-acid battery,
be sure that the area is well ventilated.  Also, since you want this
for portable use, you'll want gel-cells.  They won't leak sulfuric acid
if they're tipped over.

--Dale

--
"Never try to out-stubborn a cat."