[PLUG] Do it yourself solar...

Joe Shisei Niski joeniski at easystreet.net
Wed Aug 19 20:57:45 UTC 2009

Michael Robinson wrote:
> Anyways, I'm curious.  Are there any incentives in Oregon for people
> who buy solar panels to address the cost issue?
the only incentives i'm aware of are the Energy Trust's residential
solar program, and you need to work with a contractor they approve.
Definitely not a hobbyist thing (unless you're also a licensed
electrician) but a reasonable deal if you can wait for the full 5 yrs of
your tax credits.

> With sliver solar panels and other emerging technologies, one would
> expect that solar panels would be a lot cheaper by now than they
> were even a year ago.  I guess that just isn't the case.
i delayed getting a grid-tie sytem for our house for 3 yrs, hoping for
the thin-metal panels to become available in residential quantities, but
as of a year ago they could only be purchased in commercial-project
quantities, and none of the contractors in the state had any experience
or interest in them, so we went with good 'ol silicon.