[PLUG] Internal serial cable IDC 10 to DB9?

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 15:44:39 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 7:33 AM, Vincent L.
Damewood<vincent.leo.damewood at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 9:43 PM, Russell Johnson<russj at dimstar.net> wrote:
>> I believe the proper term for this would be null modem. I.e. crossing
>> the tx and rx lines.
>
> Not in this case. While a null-modem cable is indeed a cable with Tx
> and Rx crossed, what he's looking for is the cable that runs from his
> motherboard to the serial port mounted on his chassis (including the
> port itself), not an external cable. In this case, whether the wiring
> should be 'straight' or 'crossed' probably has something to do with
> the pin layout on his motherboard.

Exactly.   The 2 x 5 connector can be numbered with odds along one
long side and the evens along the other, or sequentially along one
long side then continuing along the other side.  The "straight
through" term means that the pin #'s on the DB9 match the ribbon
cable's numbering.

I am curious why this inquiry has caused so much confusion.  Did the
link, http://mail.google.com/mail/?hl=en&tab=wm#inbox/123437ee7990db99,
not come through?  I titled my posting with the word internal. I
indicated needing to connect to the MB. Is there more I should have
said?

-Denis