[PLUG] Internal serial cable IDC 10 to DB9?

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 15:32:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 7:56 AM, Galen Seitz<galens at seitzassoc.com> wrote:

> I have one of these cables if you still need one.
>
> BTW, the origin of the 'crossed' wiring is undoubtedly due to the use
> of IDC(insulation displacement connector) versions of the DB9.  Here's
> an example:
> http://media.digikey.com/photos/CW Ind Photos/CWR-180-09-0000.jpg
> This DB9 is simply clamped onto the ribbon cable rather than having to
> solder each wire.  The scary thing is that it is apparently cheaper to
> have someone solder 9 individual wires.  Thus it's rare to see an IDC
> DB9 in a PC.
>
> --
> Galen Seitz
> galens at seitzassoc.com

Galen,
Thanks for the offer.  Yes, I do still need one.  Is it at least 8 inches long?

The IDC DB9 is clearly the explanation for the "crossed" wiring.  It
is scary to think that little hands soldering 9 leads is cheaper than
clamping an IDC closed.   Could it be that the IDC is too wide for
mounting on a ATX case bracket?  Or maybe the connector itself is more
expensive to make?  Can the molded style be wired by robots?

-Denis