[PLUG] X is messed up

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Aug 29 03:00:49 UTC 2009

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 17:26:01 -0700
Dale Snell <ddsnell at verizon.net> dijo:

> On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 13:14:12 -0700
> John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Awful things going wrong, including:
>
> > (Can't do Ctrl-alt-backspace on current incarnations of Gnome.)
>
> That's odd, I just tried it, and it works here.  Come to think of it, I
> don't think that <ctrl-alt-BS> is a Gnome function.  I'm pretty sure
> it's in X.  (I'm running Gnome 2.24.3 on Fedora 10, kernel version
> 2.6.27.29-170.2.79.fc10.i686)  It is possible to turn off that hotkey
> combo, but I don't know if Ubuntu does that.  The fact that all sorts of
> things are going wrong suggests to my hardware-oriented little mind
> that you may have some bad ram.  The flashing caps lock light suggests
> a kernel crash to me.  X can cause that sort of thing, but so can bad
> ram.  Have you tried running a memory test program?

No I haven't done any memory checks, but I certainly can and will.

I doubt it's the RAM. I did upgrade the RAM from 2 GB to 4 GB, but that
was back in December or January, and these problems have been happening
only for the past 3-4 weeks. Of course, the RAM could have developed a
failure, so I can't completely rule it out. Still, I don't see how RAM
could cause funny appearance of fonts.