[PLUG] Upgrading BerkeleyDB

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Aug 29 19:56:05 UTC 2009

   My Subversion repository was created with the BerkeleyDB version included
in an earlier Slackware than is currently running. When I try to commit
changes the attempt fails due to BDB errors.

   A Google search turned up an equivalent situation using LDAP, but the
solution is specific to that application and not applicable to Subversion.
Another Google search on "upgrading BerkeleyDB" produced a page that leads
to other pages, but the commands (e.g., DB->upgrade, or DB_ENV-*) cannot be
executed because the shell doesn't find them. The Web pages probably make
sense to those who know BerkeleyDB inside and out, but not to a naive user
like me who's stuck with an application that uses it as the back end.

   Does anyone here know how to upgrade BDB? I have the following versions
installed:

db1-1.85-i386-1
db3-3.3.11-i486-4
db44-4.4.20-i486-2

   I suspect the Subversion repository database was created with db4.2.