[PLUG] Upgrading BerkeleyDB

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Aug 29 22:01:47 UTC 2009

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009, Carlos Konstanski wrote:

> This is why I still use CVS. I can go in there and reconstruct the files
> even in the worst case scenario. Any system that stores the data in a
> non-human-readable format worries me. A database backend is fine as long
> as it stores text, not blobs. Even subversion's file backend is binary,
> which will not do.

Carlos,

   It's not before been an issue. Perhaps I should consider git. You're right
in writing that a tool such as a version control system should store initial
files and diffs in a easily-read format to be used by any vcs.

   I removed the repository and the project directory's .svn subdirectory,
then recreated the former and started over again. For this project it's no
big deal to lose all 130+ former versions.

Thanks,