[PLUG] X is messed up

drew wymore drew.wymore at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 15:12:49 UTC 2009

Since the kernel downgrade seems to have helped I am wondering if it
has something to do with the kernel handles the graphics subsystem.
I've been reading some bits over the past few months about GEM or some
such that was causing some X bugginess.

Might be worth looking into John.

Drew-

On 8/31/09, Larry Williams <larryw at holbrookmasons.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 21:52, John Jason Jordan<johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
>> While doing testing I discovered that typing anything in a Google box
>> in Firefox will bring down Firefox or the entire computer very quickly.
>
> I thought for a moment that this might indicate a RAM problem since FF
> does tend to use a lot of it.
>
> But then ...
>
>> Finally I decided to try rebooting to older kernels. My up-to-date
>> Jaunty had 2.6.28-15, so I rebooted to -14. No luck. Then I rebooted to
>> -13. And that made a big difference - finally I can type repeated
>> searches in the Google box without locking up. I have done about 30
>> searches without a problem. It is too soon to be sure, but it looks as
>> though a major problem has been resolved. Please cross your fingers for
>> me.
>>
>> The mice still don't work, though. And I need to find what happened
>> between -13 and -14. I might find some big clues by going through the
>> changes. And I really ought to spend some time and figure out why
>> Jaunty will not shut down completely, because that may have contributed
>> to the problem.
>
> I wonder if reinstalling -15 packages would do anything.  Did it ever
> work in -15?
>
> Larry

Sent from my mobile device