[PLUG] Trouble with 2.6.27.39 kernel...

drew wymore drew.wymore at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 09:26:57 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 1:00 AM, Michael Robinson
<plug_1 at robinson-west.com>wrote:

> I'm trying to replace a 2.6.10 kernel on a Slackware 10.1 system
> with a 2.6.27.39 kernel.  Well, I think I have a usable initrd.gz
> and kernel now, but I haven't been able to boot successfully.
> In the old days, you used to say root=/dev/sda6 for example
> if that is the partition on your scsi disk that holds root.
> I get a warning not to do that in the boot messages and it
> doesn't work.  What is the new method of setting the root?
> Do I need to boot with the old 2.6.10 kernel and label the
> root partition with an ext3 file system label?
>
> I did the following mkinitrd incantantion:
>
> mkinitrd -c -k 2.6.27.39 -m jbd:ext3 -m scsi_transport_??:aic7xxxx
>
> ... maybe I'm forgetting something...
>
> Like I say though, I think I have the initrd and kernel image that I
> need to boot.  I just don't know what the new method of specifying
> the root filesystem is.

Grub and Lilo handle booting differently.

These are the lines I have. I don't need an initrd so that line is omitted.

image = /boot/vmlinuz
  root = /dev/sda2
  label = Linux
  read-only

Did you run lilo -v after you compiled the new kernel and initrd? I believe
make install when compiling the kernel auto adds the line entry to
/etc/lilo.conf now so that shouldn't be an issue.

Drew-