[PLUG] Trouble with 2.6.27.39 kernel...

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Tue Dec 1 09:35:27 UTC 2009

> Grub and Lilo handle booting differently.
>
> These are the lines I have. I don't need an initrd so that line is omitted.
>
> image = /boot/vmlinuz
>   root = /dev/sda2
>   label = Linux
>   read-only
>
> Did you run lilo -v after you compiled the new kernel and initrd? I believe
> make install when compiling the kernel auto adds the line entry to
> /etc/lilo.conf now so that shouldn't be an issue.
>
> Drew-

I neither use lilo nor grub.  I use freedos 1.0 and
loadlin with a directory that holds the kernel and
initrd files:

loadlin.exe 2_6_27.gz initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/sda6

and the above command fails with a kernel panic and a
warning that my method of indicating where the root
is is deprecated.

I suspect the kernel should work with Slackware 10.1.
I grabbed an unzipped copy of /proc/config.gz from
the old 2.6.10 kernel and fed that into the 2.6.27.39
xconfig script.  In essence, I should have built the
same kernel with the same modules and any new
dependencies should have been satisfied.

Do I label the root partition as ROOT and set
root=LABEL=ROOT or something similar?