[PLUG] We need more Linux in this town...

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 18:50:12 UTC 2009

logical american wrote:
>   It's not as easy as the postings suggest...
> Oh, btw, you need to have absolute commitment to your goals
This is exactly why it has become so frustrating after a few years of trying to get a foot hold in the Linux/FOSS world. Over the past few yrs,
I've picked up a few small projs and worked for a few small startups as a Linux Sys Admin. But I've found it very difficult to move past this
point. I was hoping that having significant network engineering experience would offset those other short-comings, but it hasn't been the case.

Each time I apply for a Linux Sys Admin job posting I fall short mostly because I don't have x many yrs of "on the job" experience w. a
particular distro (Red Hat, Suse) or my lack of "on the job" scripting experience w. Bash, PHP, Perl.