[PLUG] Virtual Box

Bruce kd7vvk at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 21:14:04 UTC 2009

Tim Wescott wrote:

>> On to my real question:
>>
>> I really hate Windows.  I really, really hate the fact that I need to
>> have it up and running sometimes (I have yet to fully break free from my
>> accounting software which uses Explorer for navigation, and some
>> microprocessor debugging tools only work under Windows).
>>
>> It's about time to upgrade the Ubuntu in my work desktop; I'm thinking
>> of wiping the whole thing clean and doing a fresh install, then
>> installing VirtualBox (for which there's a native Ubuntu install!!) in
>> which to run Windows XP for that dang accounting program and for those
>> few proprietary chip debugging environments that just have to have Windows.
>>
>> So:
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience with VirtualBox?  How'd it go?  Any
>> gotchas?  Anything I should know before I just start happily installing
>> software?  Is there a way to import an already-working hard drive image,
>> or do I just have to install Windows fresh in a new virtual machine?
>>
>> Danke
>>

> Several people have replied saying "it was hard to get USB up", and one
> has replied "you have to pay $$ to get the version that supports USB in
> the guest OS".
>
> So -- does "hard to get USB up" mean that it's hard to get USB working
> in the _host_ OS, and there's no chance at getting it going in the
> _guest_ OS, or does it mean that you found a way to get it working in
> the guest OS, too.
>
> ('cause if I want to run those chip debuggers I mentioned, I'm going to
> have to have USB).
>
> Thanks again.

Download the free version for your distro...I think you said Ubuntu.
AMD64 if that is your version of buntu...

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

This page has the setup you need for most of the popular linux distros.
USB required a little tweaking several versions back.  It was not
difficult to do nor was it hard to find the forums discussing how to.

Bruce