[PLUG] Xubuntu-9.04: Recognizing New Hardware

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Dec 2 19:56:54 UTC 2009

   I swapped the wireless radios in the Toshiba Satellite from Realtek to
Intel. After the system booted the network icon told me there are no wired
or wireless networks available. My assumption is that the system did not
automatically recognize the hardware change so it's still loading the
Realtek driver rather than the Intel one, a Pro 3945A/B/G.

   Do the ubuntus have a menu selection that I can invoke to have it seek new
hardware, recognize the new wireless card, and load the correct driver? Or,
do I do this manually with modprobe and/or an entry in /etc/rc.local?