[PLUG] Virtualbox kernel issue

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Dec 2 20:11:38 UTC 2009

After three days of struggling OpenSuse (most pathetic package management
ever), last night I gave up and installed Fedora 11. All has gone well and no
problems with Gnome so far.

I am trying to get Virtualbox installed as it was on Jaunty. I started by
copying the ~/.Virtualbox folder (18 GB) to my new ~/. Then I installed
Virtualbox. It's not in the Fedora 11 repositories, so I downloaded the RPM
for 3.0.8 from Sun. I tried 3.1.2 and 3.1.0, but the downloads failed
repeatedly. I'm sure 3.0.8 will be fine.

Then I launched Vitualbox. After the Sun license agreement it offered to
migrate my settings from the older version that I had been using on Jaunty. And
when it finished, there were my virtual machines, exactly as before. Yay!

But the bad news is that Windows 2000 won't start. The error message is that I
need to do #/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup. And when I issued that command I got:

Makefile:147: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux
kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make$

Now I'm stumped.

In the past (Ubuntu days) occasionally Virtualbox would refuse to run a virtual
machine until I installed new Virtualbox headers (or something) because there
had been a kernel update. It was easy to fix - just open Synaptic, search on
Virtualbox and there would be the vbox kernel file. However, Fedora doesn't
show such options; probably because I installed it from the RPM.

The kernel I am running is 2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64. If I search the filesystem
I find four files with the kernel numbers located in /boot:

System.map-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64
config-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64
initrd-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64
vmlinuz-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64

There is also a kernel-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64 in /etc/ld.so.conf.d, and a
folder in /lib/modules.

If anyone is running Virtualbox on Fedora, I could use some clues.