[PLUG] Virtual Box

jen montserrat jen.montserrat at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 00:40:11 UTC 2009

Make sure to use the latest version from www.virtualbox.org via Apt (
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads) or building the vboxdrv will
irritate you to no end.  I would not recommend using the package that comes
with Ubuntu.

I have been using Virtualbox for a long time and am very happy with it.
There may be times when VirtualBox and even VMWare are not able to properly
load mass storage drivers (IPods for example).

Sharing your local filesystem folders/directories into Vbox are really easy
and does not require the extra trickery as VMWare.

If you can manage to get your current Windows image backed up or snapshot to
a valid Vbox image then you should be able to import it fairly easily.

There is a trick to get USB devices working and identified properly in
VirtualBox on Ubuntu and Debian, the solution can be googled pretty easy.
Here is a useful link for the USB devices being greyed out (
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=341740&page=4).  Also make sure
that your user account is added into the vboxusers and usbfs groups.