[PLUG] Restart CUPS on Fedora 11

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Dec 3 01:36:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 15:58:27 -0800
Dan Young <danielmyoung at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 3:43 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> > All my printers are networked via ethernet. I have an ancient desktop Laserjet
> > 4 Plus whose IP address is 192.168.0.15. I can ping it fine. But I can't seem
> > to send a print job to it.
> >
> > First, I migrated all my printer setups from my old Ubuntu hard disk. I did
> > this by copying /etc/init.d/cups/cups.conf and the entire contents of the ppd
> > folder. I also restarted the computer. The printers appear in the Printer
> > configuration window. I can send a test page to it from any of the three
> > drivers that I have installed, and the test page appears in the print queue.
> > However, in the print queue it is listed as pending.
> >
> > The printer is enabled, accepting jobs. I can't find anything wrong in the GUI
> > for the driver properties. However, looking at top the cupsd service is not
> > running. I thought you started and stopped CUPS with
> >
> > /etc/init.d/cups/ ./cups stop/start
>
> Huh?

I meant, first cd to /etc/init.d/cups/ and then do either ./cups stop or ./cups
start.

> > But that does not work, and there doesn't seem to be any executable files in
> > the folder anyway. I know in top when it is running it is listed as cupsd, but
> > that doesn't work either.
> >
> > I have also restarted the computer, but the cupsd service is still not running.
> > I think it is supposed to start automatically whenever an app sends a print job
> > to a printer, but I'm not sure about that.
> >
> > I really need to get my printers working ASAP.
>
> /etc/init.d/cups start
>
> or (a bit of a Red Hat-ism):
>
> service cups start

Well, the ./cups start command did not work. But the service command did the
job. I just printed a test page and all appears well.

However, there remains the question why CUPS stopped in the first place. I had
rebooted the computer, so if it starts on boot, then it should have been
running. Or if it starts only when the user sends a print job, it still should
have been started when I sent numerous test pages to the printer.

By sheer coincidence the Fedora Update Manager popped up just before I checked
mail. There were 35 updates, and two of them involved CUPS. I had just applied
the updates, and a few minutes later did the service command.