[PLUG] (Resolved) Restart CUPS on Fedora 11

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Dec 3 15:56:23 PST 2009

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 10:05:47 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

All fixed.

The problem was that Fedora 11 did not install any printer drivers. Apparently
Debian Testing did. Furthermore, even after installing the driver from
Add/Remove Software I discovered that the drivers I had just installed were not
the same drivers as I had used before. So I had to go into each printer and
change the drivers.

In a way it was good because it made me delete a couple printers that I never
use, and re-label the rest so I could keep track of them more easily. Now the
label in the CUPS GUI utility matches the internal names, so when I want to use
lpr I can tell more easily what the name of the printer is for the -P option.

I also discovered a couple cool little Gtk tools. One is a print job manager
that is much nicer than the one from CUPS. The other is a GUI front end for the
lp command. I can just select the printer from a drop-down, and browse for the
file I want to print. All the rest of the options are just clickable too.