[PLUG] It just happened again

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Dec 4 08:20:49 UTC 2009

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 23:57:48 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

>On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 23:20:29 -0800
>John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:
>
>>Yup. Rebooted. Logged in. No metacity.
>>
>>This is Fedora 11 with Gnome 2.26.3.
>>
>>Since the last time I rebooted and logged in (a couple hours ago) I tried to
>>get Rhythmbox to see the playlist file from Rhythmbox on my desktop computer
>>(unsuccessfully), installed Banshee, uninstalled Virtualbox from Sun,
>>installed Virtualbox OSE. Virtualbox OSE would not start any guests until I
>>rebooted. So I rebooted, and then I landed without a window manager.
>>
>>This is the fifth time this has happened.
>>
>>(1) and (2) were Debian Testing, (3) was Fedora 12, (4) was OpenSuse 11.2.
>>
>>But Virtualbox OSE does start my guests. One problem solved, bigger problem
>>created.
>>
>>As soon as I send this I'm going to uninstall Virtualbox OSE and reboot.
>
>Having deleted Virtualbox OSE and rebooted, I still have no window manager. So
>it wasn't Virtualbox OSE that caused it.

OK, here is the .xsession-errors file right after logging in. All I did before
opening this file was open a terminal and start metacity.

---------
gnome-session[3841]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop
file /home/jjj/.config/autostart/xfconf-migration-4.6.desktop: Key file does
not have key 'Name' gnome-session[3841]: WARNING: could not
read /home/jjj/.config/autostart/xfconf-migration-4.6.desktop
GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET=/tmp/keyring-ZJ0jK1/socket
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-ZJ0jK1/socket.ssh

MCS->Xfconf settings migration complete

** (gnome-panel:3959): WARNING **: panel-applet-frame.c:1288: failed to load
applet OAFIID:TomboyApplet: (null)
Initializing nautilus-gdu extension

** (nautilus:4169): WARNING **: Unable to add monitor: Not supported
---------

I opened the ~/.autostart/xfconf-migration-4.6.desktop file. Here are its
contents:

---------
[Desktop Entry]
Hidden=true
---------

Some notes:

The word "migration" may lead people to incorrect assumptions. This is a brand
new installation of Fedora 11 after reformatting the hard disk. The only config
files I copied from old disks were .openoffice.org, .claws-mail,
mozilla, .easytag, .scribus, and .Virtualbox. I did not "migrate" any other
configurations from previous distro installations.

Shortly after installing Fedora 11 I removed the Tomboy notes icon from the
panel. I have no idea why gnome-panel is throwing a warning about it. I have
rebooted dozens of times since without issue.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd sure like to hear them.