[PLUG] Linux Unified Kernel...

Cheng Renquan crquan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 09:08:55 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 6:44 PM, Mike Connors <mconnors1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> My current understanding is that it's a seperate Open Source Project
> to create a new kernel, not extend the existing one, by
> porting key feats of the Win kernel into the Linux kernel.
>
> I would venture to guess this would be offered as a separate optionally
> kernel for quite a while before potentially becoming the new mainline kernel.
>
> One of the biggest barriers to mainstream Linux adoption is being happy
> with Linux/FOSS alternatives to MS Win apps or the the inconvenience of
> having to run apps in WINE.

Yes, I know this project well, it is developed since 2005 by several
Chinese, one of them is Mao Decao,
a famous operating system professor in Zhejiang University, has
written one popular thick book to analyze
linux kernel in Chinese, he is also the leader of the whole developer team;
one of another developer of this team I have also met in Shenzhen when
I was still in China;
the project is mainly sponsored by Insigma, also a Chinese company
based in Hangzhou, Zhejiang University;

quote from wikipedia, the word "Longene" in Chinese is also the name
of a kind of excellent tea in ancient times;

"Linux Unified Kernel, also known as Longene[1][not in citation given]
and informally as LUK, is an operating system kernel intended to be
binary-compatible with application software and device drivers made
for Microsoft Windows and Linux.[2] In order to accomplish this, key
features of the Windows kernel are ported to the Linux kernel."

the Linux Unified Kernel project is licensed under GPLv2, a good open
source project, welcome to hackers all over the world~

http://www.longene.org/
http://www.longene.org/en/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Unified_Kernel
http://www.insigma.com.cn/

I'm currently doing experiments to get its source, compile and run
several common win apps on popular linux distros, its running
performance is definitely much better than userland wine emulation;

and Longene also has a goal to run win drivers .sys file natively,
that did not achieve yet, and maybe more difficult than just wine
emulation; at Longene development early stage, it has many reference
to WINE, ReactOS, and NDiswrapper projects, which are all GPL
licensed, so the ecosystem works well;

I have a plan to write a detailed article to collect all these steps
involved and some of its internal features and principles;

--
Cheng Renquan (程任全), from Singapore