[PLUG] It just happened again

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Dec 4 18:32:24 UTC 2009

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 09:58:39 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

>On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 09:06:54 -0800
>Robert Miesen <robert.miesen at gmail.com> dijo:
>
>>Have you checked to see if you still have gnome installed? When you
>>uninstalled Rythmbox and Virtualbox from your system, your RPM package
>>manager might have removed gnome with those packages...especially if it was
>>an automatically-installed package (or whatever the RPM equivalent is). If
>>you still have gnome installed as stated by your package manager, it might
>>be a good idea to reinstall it, as some shared files might have been
>>clobbered when either removing Rythmbox and Virtualbox or when installing
>>Virtualbox OSE.
>
>Wes suggested the same thing, and it also occurred to me.
>
>In the Debian world I would just open Synaptic, select Gnome and all its
>components and mark them for Reinstall.
>
>In Fedora I have two GUIs: Add/Remove Software and Yumex, the latter being a
>bit more featureful, although it throws up a little popup every so often saying
>it can't get a lock - even if started right after rebooting. I ignore the popup
>and it seems to work fine.
>
>However, neither gives me a "reinstall" option. I can uninstall, and I can
>install. Uninstalling Gnome wants to uninstall a very long and scary list of
>other packages, including things like gdm. I don't want to end up unable to log
>in. Maybe it would be safer to do this from Xfce. (Having been through
>this four times before, one of the first things I did was install Xfce and take
>it for a spin to make sure I had a desktop I could log in to.)
>
>I am not very familiar with yum at the command line yet. Perhaps that would be
>a better way to "reinstall."

I should also add that it is interesting that I had installed Virtualbox from
Sun yesterday and had no problem with Gnome. But that version of Virtualbox
gave me so much grief getting the vbox kernel module installed that I finally
gave up on it. I uninstalled it and installed the OSE version instead (which
"just works"). The OSE version is from the fusion repo. The About screen says
it is 3.0.10_OSE r5409.

Also, while fixing the problem is a primary concern, it would be awesome if I
could figure out the exact cause. I haven't filed any bug reports about
this because, from past experience, I know the response will be "unable to
reproduce." But now I finally have a serious suspect. Not enough evidence yet
to arrest the dude, but more than sufficient to get a search warrant.