[PLUG] open source Skype clients?

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 19:16:44 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Mike Connors <mconnors1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert Citek wrote:
>> Also, how does one do the equivalent of SkypeIn and SkypeOut with
>> Ekiga?  Looking on the website, but haven't found anything.
> What you're really talking about is having a tel # on the pub
>
> tel network and being able to place calls out to the PTN.
>
> This is called a SIP Gateway. Apparently there's quite a few
>
> apps the provide SIP to Skype connectivity.
>
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Skype+Gateways
>
> I know all the info is a bit overwhelming, even for me, and I
>
> have a background in Telco/ISP level VOIP systems.
It is a lot of lingo to digest.

> I've wanted to build an Asterisk box for many years and play
> around w. all these neat FOSS VOIP apps.

There is a couple all in one variants.
http://www.trixbox.org/

There are dozens of these at http://www.rpath.org/ui/#

There is a re-write of asterisk project called freeswitch which gets
rid of the deadlock issues one developer
found but the community would not allow to be fixed.