[PLUG] VirtualBox -- Mounting Host Filesystems on Client???

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Tue Dec 8 06:50:36 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 10:35:45PM -0800, Tim Wescott wrote:
> I'm in the middle of my Big Computer Upgrade, with Ubuntu 9.10 (up from
> 8.10), and Windows running on VirtualBox so's I can do accounting
> without getting out of Linux.

Yay!

> I _thought_ that I could have access somehow to the host filesystem from
> VirtualBox -- but that doesn't seem to be the case.  What gives?  Am I
> missing something?  Is the free-as-in-liberty version not capable of
> this, but maybe the free-as-in-beer one is?

I don't know any amazingly tricky VM-ish ways to do this, so I just share a
directory using Samba.  Recent Ubuntu versions handle this nicely - pick a
directory (say, your home folder), right-click it and use "Sharing Options"
to share the folder.  Ubuntu will ask to install Samba (it calls it
"Sharing Service" in the dialog) and once that's done, Bob's your uncle.