[PLUG] Temperature and routers...

someone plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Wed Dec 9 07:18:42 UTC 2009

Is 15 degrees fahrenheit too cold for the typical linux router built using an
old computer?  I imagine the cold is good for hard drives and it keeps
the electronics cool.

Has anyone had favorable results with the RealTek 8180 wireless driver in
recent 2.6 kernels?  I'm getting a very weak connection that likes to stall
a lot where I'm wondering if it's poor drivers on the Linux end or problems
with the Linksys WAP11 that it goes through.  I've gone from 2.6.10 adding
a Realtek 8180 driver as a third party deal to 2.6.27.39 where the wireless
card is supported by the kernel directly.

How far can I be from the AP outdoors and still have a strong connection?
I know wireless in general isn't unstable because I have an ad-hoc connection
between my laptop and the router using Alvarion pcmcia wireless cards.

My RealTek card is branded as a Zonet ZEW1300B I believe and linux identifies
it as a RTL8180L chipset card.

I'm beginning to wonder if I had a pcmcia orinoco card that could hook to my
existing antenna if that would work better than the RealTek card?