[PLUG] Temperature and routers...

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 03:14:34 UTC 2009

Michael Robinson wrote:
> 4:  It appears that the RealTek card on the Linux side likes to
>     disassociate itself from the AP.
Do you mean at the RF layer? If so, consider Wifi is subject to the
brightest light problem. Meaning if there's a stronger signal on the
same channel the card will drop it's current connection and try to
connect to another AP w. a stronger signal.

> Before I think, oh I'll just go to Ebay and get a new wireless card
> such as an Orinoco gold card, I want to know if I'm close enough to
> get a good connection.  I'm also concerned that my Linksys router
> in the pump house is flaky because I'm having trouble accessing the
> web page on it.
I have 3 wireless cards (Linksys, Netgear, and Orinoco Gold) that
I'd be happy to let you borrow for testing. The Orinoco card
Also have you done any wireless surveying? Orinoco used to have
a free wireless tool for Winduhs. I've used Kismet and Wellenreiter
(Linux) in the past for this but wasn't very impressed with them for
this purpose. Although this app is Freeware it's for Winduhs.
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider.

Airmagnet, which is a commercial Winduhs app, is the best I've ever
used for this kind of stuff. It will overwhelm you with the amount
of info it provides about the wireless enviro being surveyed.